FREE TAX PREP
VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and is a nationwide program that runs from the end of January through April 18. IRS-certified volunteers prepare tax returns for free for individuals & families earning less than $66,000 in 2017. During the 2017 tax season, more than 40 volunteers completed 1,105 tax returns, resulting in more than $2M worth of savings. Keep the money you have earned!
VITA Site locations include:
Patterson Park Community Center
Opens Jan. 30th through April 17th.
Times in operation: Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 2 p.m. – 8 p.m. Saturdays 9 a.m.-
2 p.m. Sundays 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Smyrna Public Library
Opens March 17th through April 17th.
Times in operation: Saturdays 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
La Vergne Public Library
Opens Feb. 2nd through April 14th.
Times in operation: Fridays 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
For a full list of locations in the Middle Tennessee area, click HERE or dial 2-1-1.
Call 2-1-1 for available dates and times.
Please note inclement weather may affect VITA site hours of operation.
WE CANNOT PREPARE
- Schedule C with Losses (can only file one Schedule C per return. Must have expenses less than $10,000. No businesses with depreciation or inventory or claiming home office deduction.
- Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Rental or Farm Income
- Certain travel and auto deductions
Preparing for your visit:
REQUIRED ITEMS TO BRING
- Photo ID for both spouses, if filing jointly
- Original copies of Social Security Cards or ITINs (for everyone on the return)
- Proof of Income (a W2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security Income, Unemployment, Interest, etc.)
- Proof of Expenses if Claiming Any (Childcare, education, medical, property tax, itemized deductions, etc.)
- Proof of Mileage if claiming any (must be a written record. Please total any business expenses before arriving)
- Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return
- Last year’s tax return
- Direct deposit information